Friday, January 25, 2008

Knitting or reading about knitting

I’ve been splitting my spare time between knitting and fiction reading. It’s hard for me to do both because I love to read and I love to knit. And I have a day job, and laundry, and cooking, and cats, and golf, and - oh, yes, a husband (who heard about and bought me this book).

I’ve been reading a novel that has knitting as a central theme - The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. If you haven’t heard about or read this book, it’s worth the time away from the needles.
I think that any knitter can find a connection to the story or the characters in some way. It started out a little slow for me but the story picked up and I enjoyed it to the end.

The main character is a single mom who runs a knitting store and cares for her 12-year-old daughter. And of course, she has a Friday night knitting club.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like that try Knitting Circle by Ann Hood and Knitting under the Influence by Clare La Zebnik and Knitting by Anne Bartlett

Marie said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie, It's me again. I have read all three of the books recommended by Julie, but not the one you read. I'll have to check it out. Of Julie's recommendations, I thought Knitting Under the Influence was a lot of fun in a chicklit way and Knitting was good in a more dramatic way. I wasn't wild about The Knitting Circle. If you red it, I would be interested to heat what you think.
Beverly